Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Body issues

So after 3 pregnancies and 3 c-sections I was diagnosed with a split in the stomach muscles measuring 10cms. Pretty cool party trick was making my fist disappear in my stomach.
I also had a lot of pain. Everyone I would eat my stomach would bulge and cause pain. I felt like a burn along with stabbing. I had an ultrasound that confirmed no hernia but that it was only a matter of time as the lining was stretched and super thin. When it did tear it would be big. At one point I was in so much pain I ended up in hospital. They were convicted I had a tear in my stomach lining but they couldn't find it. I said it was my seperation. Finally and older dr agreed with me. 
I don't remember when I first read about Medicare giving a free tummy tuck. I think it was after baby no 1. But after no 3 I did my reaserch. The only surgeon I could find reviews for was Dr Julie Lawrence. Surly she wasn't the only one. I then heard of a family friend who had just had a TT with Margaret Anderson. I found her and was impressed with what I saw. I'm not squeamish so I even watched her youtube videos. I sent emails to both to get more info about being covered by Medicare and they both said they had waiting lists and to book a consaultation. I booked with both and got to see Margaret first. I ended up cancelling with Julie as I felt Margaret was the one for me. She expressed how bad my condition was and how the surgery should be free for all women that have had children. 
I started out after baby no3 at 71kg. It was mostly in my stomach. At the time of my consaultation (June) I had reached 64kg. Margaret said I needed to get to 60 to be in my correct BMI. At that point I was described as a young women with an old lady's body. I was not happy with what I saw in the mirror. It affected how I was a mother and a wife. I couldn't do my everyday duties like picking them up, carting them around, baths were awful on my back and if struggled to control the trolley while buying groceries. I was on Endone (tablet morphine) just so I could sleep at night. Margaret's waiting list was 18months. I couldn't wait that long. She suggested that in this case paying for it might be the way to go. You get a car loan coz your family needs a car, why not a loan so you can have a mother that can perform everyday duties. Was what she said. I went home to Joshua and he agreed. We would still have to wait tho until Perry was 1 other wise I could have had the surgery in August. We looked at other options like Thailand but it didn't feel right. Margaret was so kind and made me feel that my body would be in great hands. So we waited and we saved  as much as we could. I don't have exact amounts with me as I'm in hospital now but it was going to be over $8000- closer to $9000. We did it! :) 
Two weeks ago all the letters came we filled them in and payed for what we could. The days got closer but it hadn't hit me. We drove to the hospital got in the room had the anaethasist talk to me and eventually Margaret came and took photos and drew on my belly. Then got back in bed and it hit me. I began to cry. All my excitement went away and the reality on a major surgery and pain to come hit me like a ton of bricks. I wanted Joshua to come with me and hold my hand the whole time. He said to think of my Grandpa Wally. I did and I could feel his presence there watching over me. The Anaethasist gave me the drugs to put me to sleep and the last thing I remember was listening to Margaret talking about her cruise and the people fighting. I then awoke with the shakes and being itchy. I don't remember a lot after that as I was going in and out of anaesthetic. I was feeling pretty good. I even didn't feel dizzy on the way to the toilet for the first time. Until I get there. I went green and felt sick! I couldn't move. It eventually passed enough that I could hobble back to bed. I fell back asleep. (ooh code black just announced) anyway, 2nd time I got up was 100% better and the 3rd time 100% better again. I pretty much was on my own by then. Margaret was impressed with my recovery and said drains could come out and I could go home today. :) the drains was a weird feeling! Cannot describe the sensation. Kinda like stitches I guess but thicker. 
Over all I had 1kg of skin/fat taken and a bit of lipo. I will post pics a bit later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment